The course was designed by Laurence Allamby, a young golf professional who had studied Golf Architecture and Course Design under the world famous course architect Dr. Alister McKenzie.
It was shortly after his 19th birthday that Allamby was recommended to a Mr Cross who resided at Shaw hill at that time. Allamby was invited to a meeting with the members of the Cross family, a local solicitor and other wealthy benefactors in the winter of 1923. It was after this meeting that Allamby was invited to submit a design for an eighteen hole golf course to be laid out on the 100 plus acres of parkland which surrounded Shaw Hill. The design was accepted and after hiring local labour the work commenced in 1924.
The course took just over fifteen months to complete and the first rounds of golf were played in the spring of 1925. The scenic charm of the golf course belies a stern test for every level of golfer. Several strategically placed ponds, a meandering brook, internal out of bounds and hundreds of trees await any errant shots. With heavily bunkered greens, freuent dog-legs, long par threes and awkwardly placed ponds, good course management is a must. Yet the curious nature of the course rewards long hitting on the par fives in particular and accuracy on the shorter par fours and threes.